Saturday, June 19, 2004

And There's the Rub -- If It's a Grade II

Controversy surrounds treatment of grade II tumors. If I magically knew that I had a grade II tumor, with no III cells in it, what would I do? I know that they can transform into grade III tumors. I asked to the doctor I saw on Wednesday -- does it matter, in terms of long-term survival, whether I have such a tumor out now or later when it starts to change? His answer -- "we don't know." He has seen research studies but in his mind there are flaws, such as following patients with CAT scans. CAT scans can miss tumors, and may have other inaccuracies. I would say that if I knew it was a grade II tumor I would not have surgery because the risks of surgery are not worth an unknown outcome. And I would certainly not have surgery plus radiation/chemo because the risks of disability rise a lot (especially memory/learning/concentration, things I use a lot since my physical body is partially disabled) for unknown outcome. hum, maybe I am able to sort things out... at least when I write.

I want to acknowledge that there are many types of grade II tumors (and grade I, and grade III, etc.) with differing responses to treatment and expected lifetimes. What I'm writing above is general. And as with everything on this web site it is not intended as medical advice. Please see your health-care professionals for medical advice.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I do believe this is an excellent blog. I stumbledupon
it ;) I may return yet again since I saved as a favorite it.
Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and continue to help other people.


Also visit my web blog ... exeter devon

April 26, 2013 at 7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home